Thursday 21 January 2010

Jack in school; a trip to Plymouth

Jack finally went to school this week. His uniform is definitely more formal than that of Moruya High school: here he is in his tailored trousers, ironed shirt and tie, woollen jumper , blazer and shiny shoes. He still manages to play soccer, er, 'football' at break with his new-found mates. One of those is a Jack as well - the name is just as prolific over here...


(Sorry this is sideways. If I rotate it, Jack goes all skinny. You will have to twist your necks.)


Jack has to learn French and Spanish, having never learnt any foreign language previously. I can help him with French, but neither Wayne nor I know more than a smattering of Spanish words- mostly derived from comics... Jack's on his own.

On Wednesday I took a train to Plymouth. It is a half-hour trip, and very picturesque. There is not much greenery in the actual city - all the tall houses seen from the train are crowded together with shared walls, their roofs a mass of grey crowded with chimneys. Yet they look solid and united, in slightly varying pastel and white shades.

The train is only minutes away, walking, from the city centre- and there are streets which are pedestrian only. The university is right there too; all very sensible. I was a bit bewildered by the variety of shops, but I did eventually get most of what I needed... 'rambling' boots, good thermal undies and a warm jumper. I got some good bargains too - the January sales seem to be still going. I also noted that English seagulls are HUGE - as big as chooks, and with a wild and poignant cry. There was also a very adventurous bee, for this time of the year, in a mall garden. It, also, was of giant proportions, looking like it was wearing a thick stripey overcoat.

Home again after a pretty successful 'raid' - only to find that my car at the station had a flat battery. I had left the lights on AGAIN, as I was running a bit late for the train in the morning and had to get a pay parking ticket too, missing the warning 'beep' in my hurry. I was rescued by a man in the nearby tyre shop. Hopefully this will not happen again!

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't Jack look very smart in his uniform, (looks very Kings College to us). So glad the kids are all settling in at their various schools.

    I think you must have been looking at "terraced" houses Stef. Barry lived in one of those for many years in Brighton.

    We think that the bee that you saw was a Bumble Bee, interestinly, it was introduced into Tasmania (to some controversy), because it was able to survive the cold of a Tasmanian winter, and would then be able to pollinate earlier than commercial bees, and native bees.

    We all know what happened with rabbits, and cane toads don't we!!!!
    Love B & S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Smashing!! Andrew Jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fosters,
    I hope you have as great an experience as we did in Canada. Jack's uniform is certainly a far cry from the informality of Moruya HS.
    Make sure you enjoy every moment as your year will fly and you will find yourselves back home in no time.

    ReplyDelete